Sunday, 31 January 2010

Let Go II: Ties That Bind


foto of Watches from MINE OBJECTS series

Speaking of letting go, my father, Berthan Macaulay QC, died a little over 3 years ago and it has been difficult to decide what to do with all his clothes and shoes.  When it happened, I think I lost my mind for a solid year, simply not knowing how to process it - except to deny, to focus outwardly, race against time and ahead of ambition, be an emotional support for my mother, and stop sleeping...literally. But in so doing I went to sleep psychically and spiritually for the past two - withdrawing from ... well ... everything, and really only by mid-last year (09’) did I finally wake the hell up to a new world feeling like an orphan. 

It's SO important, where possible, to create and journal when you’ve experienced any loss or dramatic change in your life - SO important.  Many layers of the 'self' are fighting to either be featured or buried on a daily basis.  I think the only way that my grief and resulting changes have manifested is through my photographic work. But finally I'm starting to speak up too, and interestingly that has softened my sight  (or in photog talk - POV) quite a bit.


After all this time, my mother and I reached an emotional and spiritual agreement to unpack, sort, and donate my fathers things to the survivors of Haiti’s earthquake. We felt this was right.  He always loved Haiti, was concerned about their future, and admired their historical achievement as the 2nd independent country in the West, in 1804 [ the  US was the first in 1776) - and for being one of the few nations in the diaspora to openly, boldly, and defiantly maintain their African heritage in the West, despite being  exploited, misunderstood, unsupported, and segregated.  

 
Berthan Macaulay QC
from MINE OBJECTS

I've been shooting a collection of personal stuff, including some of my father's things as part of a photo series, MINE OBJECTS, that I started a year ago. Here's a few, along with ones taken in the last days.
 
also from MINE OBJECTS

 

from just packing up and letting go: 

 
 


Related Journey Posts: The Ongoing Attempt, Sept 2007

                       Let Go: While Haiti Cries, We Must Try


Check out this great NEW YORK TIMES Opinion ARTICLE for a quick historical overview:

To Heal Haiti, Look to History, Not Nature by Mark Danner



5 comments:

  1. Berette - isn't it amazing how long it takes for us to heal, yet, how certain we will heal if we do not stop try! i was talking with Velizar last night about death. the idea of it just seems so surreal, you know, like it only happens in a distant land. Then, we find ourselves confronting death with people we are close to!

    i want to congratulate you for speaking up and share them in this world. photographs and words are two means that we can communicate with others without geographic boundaries. To be understood and to understand are so essential in the healing. I am just so happy that you have reached that place in your life!!! and what a triumphant way to draw the period by donating the belonging to those who are in need most now!

    beautiful photos a- they remind us to keep our love lasting, to those who love us and to the people who need that from us!!!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and recognizable; i have boxes full.

    Suggestion for a title for one of the flying tie pictures: The tie unbound

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your work is so rich, so beautiful. I am in a process right now where I am rethinking this practical persona I am sitting so comfortably in. Reading your words and observing your journey is particularly meanigful right now. How to clear out the closets? More importantly, how do you even face or release that which you feel you cannot even see. When avoidance has gone so long that the thing has virtually dissapeared. And yet, you know, somewhere, it inhibits vibrancy, but you just cant seem to get at it, or maybe dont want to. The energy to reconsider that you arent done with something that was easier to simply cut off, or divorce...

    I love the ties. And I love the clothing on the couch

    much love, and to wakefullness, however challenging to maintain.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved everything about this post B...the ties, the sofa, your dad, Haiti. I am inspired by your growth.

    BTW, you look so much like your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you guys - it's been an intense journey and lately it really seems to be about 'the stuff' left behind, and what it means to 'remember' or rather, how to keep the memory of my dad alive without being an overly sensitive hoarder. Sometimes it's like a forced process of control...other times like gently yet resolutely releasing a floating paper lantern down a river in a march to the unknown.

    Wow - Ishka - thanks hon! Been a while since I've been told that - usu it's "my God you look like your Mum".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails