My mother shared a most insightful passage she wrote on a brief mental respite at her work table, amidst a tsunami of files and papers where she is regularly found toiling over a paper, article, appeal, or judgment for her clients or the human rights movement. She has spent the past 30+ years of her life working for and attending to the business of educating, supporting, and winning equal rights battles and lobbying for law reform for women, children, and all, in various organizations and international courts.
Her sacrifices for the struggles of others are countless, and frankly the workload is mind boggling. Her efforts take her all over the world hearing stories and cases of unimaginable atrocities which she simply cannot abide, and so she barrels forth beyond any reasonable expectation and often with little reward or at personal cost, with a tireless dedication and optimism that floors me. I could never hope to step into the shoes of such a woman, but I was touched to be let into a vulnerable outpouring of her heart in this impromptu passage that has thankfully been legally released for my blog (haha!):
My Struggle
They praise my work for the rights of women and children - in fact for the enjoyment of human rights by all. But do they know?
Do they know the fears?
Do they know the doubts?
Do they know the nervousness?
Do they know the exhaustion?
Do they know the passion and the energy it takes to overcome these things, and which push me on to do, to speak, to write, to present, to lobby, to participate?
Do they know the prayers I say for strength, for inspiration, for knowledge, for understanding, for patience, for consistency?
Do they know?
Do they even care to know?
Does it matter if they know, if it's what I must do to fulfill my life, when I chose my struggle as the soul transporter of my purpose?
Margarette May Macaulay, July 11, 2010






Thanks to your mom for sharing something so personal.
ReplyDeleteThanks to your Mum and you for sharing this one. It's takes courage to reveal ones vulnerable side, and I join you in celebrating her for this and her tireless work. I think you have an idea how much I value our long and close friendship over the years.
ReplyDeleteLots of love to you both.
Hi Berette, I follow your mom's advise column in the JA Observer and have always admired her accomplishments. You're fortunate to have such a great woman as your mother.
ReplyDeletereally? that's so cool! thanks Kecia - yeah, she freaks me out with her indefatigable passion for service.
ReplyDeleteWhat is sad is that she gets criticized alot for not seeming to be fair as far as men and women issues are concerned. However, when I read her responses she is usually focusing on the deeper core of the issue especially when children are in...volved. I don't see it as being partial to women, instead it is her way of telling them to be strong, fight and take charge of their lives, especially when they seem to be ignorant of the laws and their rights. Kudos to her for being brave enough to stand up to the criticisms and yet carry on her work each day.
ReplyDeleteI know, and she has to be, because there's an alarming number of people, world-wide, who have no true knowledge of their rights or legal measures they can take to prevent or remedy their problems. Nor is there full knowledge of what the wo...men's movement goes through to secure those rights for women and children especially - who happen to still suffer the most exploitation and discrimination in many societies. The real facts of this are often quite alarming in this day and age. So when she advises, it sometimes comes with a pragmatic urgency that can be hard to swallow...believe me I know lol. That's why I was moved by this peek into her fear, which also happens to be her drive... :)See more
ReplyDeletethank you for sharing this Berette. amazing woman
ReplyDeleteYour photo embodied the nobility of spirit that is your mother.
ReplyDeleteThe personal insight is great too.Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed our little tete-a-tete today.Cheers
Your Mother is heroic. I'm floored by her commitment to leaving the world in better shape than she found it. Hope everyone of us will rise to the occasion of life in the same way. Beautiful (also the photo) & inspiring. Thanks for sharing with us Sis.
ReplyDelete