Wednesday, 2 February 2011

SUPPORT POST: Another Modern Salone Pilgrim

So by now you know that every now and then I just HAVE to drop a word about a friend/fellow artist/seeker/human being who is on their own  inspiring journey.  Another such soul is MyronChristian Macauley.  Yes - um we have the same name, AND we come from the same country, Sierra Leone, AND, AND, he's a photographer and a fine one at that. 

MCM image from Marc Ecko ad campaign in Europe
A mutual friend  - also a photographer and restaurant owner, Sean John, introduced us some years ago and I've been an admirer of Christian's vision ever since. I've heard him refer to the body of his work in a nutshell as a hybrid of fashion and fine art photography...well...with a big helping of spiritual mysticism I might add.  His images have a dreamlike, ethereal quality that is attempted by many image makers today but rarely accomplished to this standard. Rather than one-dimensional aesthetic imagery, I think Christian produces mentally and emotionally provocative beauty.  

He recently put out a coffee table book, Modern Man in Search of Soul, Pub. MCM Collective, July 2010, currently available on Amazon.com, and at Bookophilia (if you're in JA) which showcases some of his best mystical work chronicling his creative and personal  spiritual journey over the past seven years in Thailand, Brazil, Kenya, India, and Greece. 

During my last stop in New York I made it a huge priority to get the book for my library. I ran over to Sean's spot, Spur Tree, to meet up with Christian and Danae Grandison of (book designer from KGN6 Design  and business partner for the MCM Collective)to get my copy.  Of course there's no big mystery why I'd love it (having been on my own version of Eat, Pray, Love for the past year and a half!), but trust - if you flip through this journey, you'll be transported further than any plane can take you.  






Here's a video from MCM's journey:






Footage and reactions from a recent Pop-Up Gallery show in SoHo:


You can find more about him here:

You can buy your book at these places too:

-Greenlight Bookstore 
(Fort Greene, Bklyn - in store)

-Georgia Salon 
(Nolita, NY - in store)
www.georgianyc.com

-Studio Museum of Harlem (NY)
144 West 125th Street
(212) 864-4500
-MCJ bookstore 
(Nolita, NY - in store)
www.mcnallyjackson.com/
K&M Camera 
(Tribecca, NY)
www.kmcamera.com‎




                                                Marathon for Stillness (March 2010)

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails